Tomato soup is one on my favorite comfort foods when I am sick or in a flare. It is also a favorite on cold wintry days (not that we have many where I live)! Soups are an easy way for me to get nutrients into my body too, especially when I am in a flare. I love that this recipe is super quick, easy and tasty! I am not vegan so I will use bone broth when it calls for broth, again especially if I am in a flare. (if vegetarian or vegan, stick to vegetable broth)
- 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes*
- 4 leeks, white part only, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 cup of chicken broth or bone broth or vegetable broth if vegetarian or vegan
- 8.5 ounce coconut milk
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Sauté the leeks in the melted coconut oil over medium heat until softened.
- Add in the minced garlic and stirred for 30 seconds until it was fragrant.
- Dump the whole can of tomatoes, juice and all, into a blender and blitzed on high until it was smooth. Pour half of the pureed tomatoes into a medium saucepan and add the softened leeks and garlic to the remaining tomato puree in the blender.
- Blitzed the tomato puree with the leeks and garlic on high until the mixture is smooth, then pour the contents of the blender into the saucepan with the other half of the pureed tomatoes.
- Add the broth and coconut milk.Crank up the heat to medium high and bring the mixture to a boil. Once the mixture starts to boil, lower the heat to low and simmered for 10 minutes.
- Check the seasoning and added some salt and pepper if needed (or any other spices if desired).
Original recipe found here: QUICK CREAM OF TOMATO SOUP