This baked chicken is so easy (and of course adaptable)! I have used chicken thighs and tenders in place of chicken breasts, you just have to adjust the baking time depending on size of chicken pieces. The seasoning can be adjusted too, I have added cilantro or turmeric. You can eat the breasts (or thighs, tenders) as a meal or you can shred the chicken.
Once shredded this chicken can be used as a topping for salads, added to soups, use paleo mayo and make chicken salad, add some salsa and pepper use for tacos…really can be used for anything you can think of.
60 min (with resting and cooling time)
- Skinless Chicken breasts
- Oil to drizzle over top (Olive, Avocado, or your oil of choice)
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit..
- Arrange chicken breasts on a baking sheet. Allow a little space between the pieces so that they are not crowded, use multiple baking sheets or dishes if necessary. If you are using skin-on chicken breasts, place them skin side up.
- Drizzle oil over the chicken breasts, then sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Rub the oil and seasonings all over both sides of the breasts with your hands. Wash your hands with hot soapy water.
- Place the baking sheet or dish in the oven and set a timer for 35 minutes. Leave the chicken undisturbed while it bakes. There is no need to turn or baste the pieces; just wait for the timer to go off.
- Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the largest chicken breast. If you are using bone-in breasts, don’t let the point touch the bone. The chicken is done if the temperature reads 165 degrees F or higher. If it’s not ready yet, put it back in the oven for another five to 10 minutes, and then test again. If you don’t have a meat thermometer, pierce the thickest part of the largest chicken breast with a sharp knife. If the juices run clear and are golden, rather than pink, the chicken is ready.
- Take the chicken out of the oven and let it rest and cool for at least 15 minutes. Remove and discard the skin, if you used skin-on breasts, before shredding the chicken.
Original recipe found here: How to Bake Chicken Breasts to Be Shredded