I love jerky! Jerky is an easy on the go snack that is pure protein. This recipe is super easy but can take a while depending on how long you marinate your flank steak for. I like to marinate mine closer to the 24 hrs, but have marinated for less time in a pinch. I prefer to use buffalo or bison for my jerky, but organic grass fed beef is good to use too. The recipe can be adapted to fit your personal tastes and preferences on flavors. I have added the coconut teriyaki sauce for a twist.
2-24 hrs (depending on how long you marinate the flank steak for)
6-28 hrs (depending on length of time steak is marinated)
- 3 lb Flank Steak (organic grass fed beef or buffalo/ bison), as lean as possible
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 cup Coconut Aminos
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Chipotle Powder
- Partially freeze meat for 2-4 hours, until mostly solid.
- Slice meat into 1/10th inch thickness strips.
- Mix the coconut aminos with minced garlic in a bowl.
- Toss sliced beef with the coconut aminos and minced garlic.
- Marinate jerky from 2-24 hours in refrigerator.
- If using alternate spices, evenly coat beef with spices and allow to ‘rest’ in the refrigerator up to 24 hours.
- Heat oven to 170 degrees.
- If using an oven in place of a dehydrator, set up racks over cookie sheets lined with aluminum foil (for easier cleanup).
- Lay strips of beef out on racks, add salt and pepper if desired, and place racks in oven.
- Cook at 170 for 3-4 hours.
- Thinly sliced meat will take less time, thicker meat will take longer. Closely monitor meat to ensure it doesn’t dry out too much.
Original recipe found here: Beef Jerky