On cold wintry days (not that we have many where I live), I love a cup of hot soup! Soups are an easy way for me to get nutrients into my body too, especially when I am in a flare. I love that this recipe is super easy and tasty! I am not vegan so I will use bone broth in place of the vegetable broth, again especially if I am in a flare. (if vegan, stick to vegetable broth). Cutting butternut squash can be intimidating but here are some tips to help make prepping and cutting easier.
3-4 hrs (on high)
6-8 hrs (on low)
4 hrs 15 min (on high)
8 hrs 15 min (on low)
- 2 cups vegetable stock (vegan) or bone broth
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and diced
- 1 medium (uncooked) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 sprig fresh sage
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper, or more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne, or more to taste
- pinch of ground cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1/2 cup canned (unsweetened) coconut milk
- optional garnishes: extra coconut milk and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper (or smoked paprika)
Add vegetable stock, garlic, carrot, apple, butternut squash, sage, onion, salt, pepper, cayenne, cinnamon and nutmeg to a large slow cooker. Toss to combine.
Cook for 6-8 hours on low, or 3-4 hours on high, or until the squash is completely tender and mashes easily with a fork. Remove and discard the sage. Stir in the coconut milk.
Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. (Or you can transfer the soup in two batches into a traditional blender, and puree until smooth, being very careful when working with the hot liquid.) Taste, and season with additional salt, pepper and cayenne if needed.
Serve warm, with optional garnishes if desired. The “rolls” go great with the soup too!
*A medium-sized butternut squash should weigh around 2 lbs or so, or about 2 1/2 cups, (so you would need about 32 ounces if buying pre-cut butternut squash).
Original recipe found here: Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup