My whole family loves this one! It is quick and easy great meal for those busy week nights. I have made this recipe without the delicata squash too and it is still delicious! In my family, we usually add some sort of steamed veggies to our Alfredo. We like broccoli or green beans best.
I know there is controversy over green beans in the Paleo world because green beans are a legume, but for me, I do ok with eating green beans so I eat them occasionally. I have done my research and reads lots of information about green beans. I think The Paleo Mom explains it best, here is the link to her discussion on the topic The Green Bean Controversy. (The Paleo Mom is one of my favorite science based blogs that discusses the science of our foods, how these foods interact with out bodies and if they are good/ bad choice to eat based on science)
- 1 spaghetti squash, cut in half lengthwise, seeds removed
- 1 larger delicata squash, cut in half lengthwise, seeds removed (optional)
- ½lb chicken tenders
- 4-6 slices bacon, diced
- ½ cup canned coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your 425 degrees.
- Cut spaghetti squash and delicata squash in half and use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and excess threads.
- Place open side down on a baking sheet (use parchment paper for easy clean up) and cook for 20-25 minutes. You will know when they are done cooking when you can poke the outside skin and it ‘gives’ a bit.
- Now you can either cook your chicken at the same time or after the squash is done cooking. Whatever you’d like. Just place chicken on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, sprinkle some oil (or other kind of fat) over the chicken, salt and pepper it, and sprinkle just a bit of basil on top. Cook until tender, around 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Once your squash is done cooking, pull it out of the oven, dethread the spaghetti squash into a large bowl with a fork.
- Now throw your diced bacon into a skillet and cook until done. Use a slotted spoon to pull out your cooked bacon, but leave behind the grease.
- Take your delicata squash, hollow it out and dump the insides into your warm skillet filled with bacon grease. Then add your coconut milk. You may need to add a little bit more coconut milk depending on how runny you like your sauce. Mix thoroughly with a ladle to break up the squash a bit.
- Add the seasonings to the mix and salt and pepper as needed. Mix thoroughly and cook on low for about 5 minutes to simmer.
- Now dice up your cooked chicken.
- Pour sauce over spaghetti squash and add your chicken to the mix.
- Mix well.
- Top with bacon.
Original recipe found here: LEFTOVERS: CHICKEN BACON ALFREDO